Friday, August 7, 2015

The Grass Withers and the Flowers Fade



Just a few days ago we took our daughter to a Science Museum and I captured this image and the bubble she is blowing reminded me of the fragilness of life, but more about that later. We had lots of fun looking at all the exhibits and Mary's most favorite was the bubble room.  There were bubble walls and large bins of soap solution on tables with large wands to make ginormous bubbles!  While we were there an older couple was in the room with us with a little girl.  The man made a statement, like a tongue in cheek thing, about us having our daughter with us, as they did.  I smiled and thought at first that he was serious and said, "Yes, I was 46 and my husband was 51 when we had her."  I seen the expression on his face change and said, "Oh, this is our granddaughter and we thought that was your granddaughter too.  I am so sorry."  I smiled and said, "Oh don't worry about it, we get that all the time." 

Later when I thought about it and remembered other times that has happened how people apologize to us like they have offended us.  Which they have not.  Neither Rich or I dye our hair trying look younger.  We feel it is healthier and more natural to let your hair do as God intended it to do.  Also we are not trying to hide our age as Mary is a wonderful gift to us.  We were not the people who were so busy with our lives that we didn't have time for children when we were younger and now were pushing the envelope to have a family late in life.  We also were not ones that thought of her as "oops, I guess we will make the best of it" either.  She was greatly wanted and we had asked God for a child, if it was His will.  We both desired a child or children in our youth.  We longed to be married and had some very lonely years in our lives but we both wanted to keep the Lord's word and marry a follower of Christ and one that was not divorced.  This was a tall order in our culture as we reached into our 30s and early 40s.  Most people thought it just wouldn't happen for us, but God in His plan and great love and mercy, seen fit for us to meet later in life, fall in love, marry and 4 years later bless us with a child.  I was 46 when I had her and I conceived her naturally with no medical intervention.  That was a great gift to us. 


I got to thinking about aging next.  Our culture for the most part worships youth.  Seems like everyone is trying to look younger than what they are.  Even some people lie about their age, like it is a bad thing.  Yes, it is part of the curse, but it is for our good.   I have noticed how time passes so quickly now and I have to move a little bit slower and my body takes longer to heal.  I tire easier too.  I know when I was young and much stronger, the tendency was to trust in my youth and my own strength.  Now I find myself looking to the Lord for my everyday needs of energy and health, knowing the days to the end of my life has shortened quite a bit.  The Lord has allowed this to happen to us, as humans, to cause to not trust in our flesh and begin to think about what will happen to us when we die.  As believers it should be a sweet thought to be with the Lord and not to have to struggle in this life any more in this fallen world.

The last thing I was thinking about was how many times people's lives are cut short.  I read a blog of a Christian gal who knows a lot of people and has a large following.  She gets prayer requests from people all over the country and quite often shares these tragic stories.  The last one was of a 30 year old gal who had been married for a little while, less than 5 years and just died leaving her husband and a not quite 2 year old and a 6 month old baby due to heart trouble that showed up in her first pregnancy and then was greatly aggravated by her next pregnancy.  The little girls were only 15 months apart.  My heart just ached as I read this gal's story, she was a Christian, stay at home mom, loving her kids and husband.  She had a lot of hope that the doctors would be able to help her, but she didn't make it.  I didn't know her so I have no idea why God did not heal her and I am sure many people are wondering the same thing.  All I know is for myself, I am thankful for each day that I have.  When I was expecting Mary, God gave me a promise that she was His work both physically and spiritually and that we would live to raise her.  I knew she was no accident and that she was a gift from God.  I am so thankful I had no complications in my pregnancy and delivery and she has been very healthy from birth.  I know I am doing what God has called me to, to be a godly wife and mother and to keep His word.  I trust in that. I think about the Apostle Paul telling the men, when he was going to Rome on the ship that was about to wreck on the rocks, not to kill the prisoners as not one was going to be lost or die and all would make it safely to shore.  That was quite a thing as it was very common for passengers and sailors to not know how to swim. Then when they were on the shore gathering wood he was bit by a very poisonous snake and just shook it off and didn't die or get sick.  The people of the island were amazed.  It wasn't luck for him, it was divine intervention as a testimony of the power of the risen Lord in his life.  Paul knew he was to go to Rome, God had told him that. Eventually Paul did die, but he knew it wasn't going to be that day. I thought about Paul's example a number of years ago and I told the Lord I wanted to find out what He had for me to do and I would follow it whatever the cost and know that He would take care of me and fulfill all He had planned for me, even if it took a miracle.  I know my calling right now is to be a wife, a mother in my later years, keep His words and share the truths of the kingdom of God and I will be taken care of and live until that is accomplished.  

I hope this is an encouragement to whoever reads this, that they not try and rush things to have them at a certain time just to fit in socially, or for fear of not getting what you feel you need and want.  The important thing is to do what is godly and wise, which requires self reduction and faith.  If you have left the path and made bad decisions, own up to them, repent of them, make right what you need, confess them and then wait on the Lord for direction that he wants you to go in.

I looked up a few scriptures about life and aging and thought I would share them with you. 

Psalms 103:15-16
As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, And its place acknowledges it no longer.

Proverbs 16:31
A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness.

Psalms 90:12
So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.

Psalms 39:4
"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am.

Psalms 143:5
I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I muse on the work of Your hands.

Psalms 71:5-6
For You are my hope; O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth. By You I have been sustained from my birth; You are He who took me from my mother's womb; My praise is continually of You.

2 Corinthians 5:1
For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Psalms 39:4-6
"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. "Behold, You have made my days as hand breadths, And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; Surely every man at his best is a mere breath. 

Isaiah 40:6-8
All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades, When the breath of the LORD blows upon it; Surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are glad you commented and would love to answer any questions you may have.